- BRITISH COMMONWEALTH - VERY NICE STOCK BOOK OF A COUPLE THOUSAND - 406296British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $2000.00Stock #: 406296Your Price $750.00 Originally $1,500.00
- BRITISH EMPIRE - THOUSANDS OF SETS & SINGLES - 406203British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Catalog Value: $900.00 – $1,000.00Stock #: 406203Your Price $450.00 Originally $900.00
- BRITISH EMPIRE - MOSTLY PREMIUM SELECTION - 406820British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Scott Catalog About: $5,100.00Stock #: 406820Your Price $750.00 Originally $1,500.00
- BRITISH ASIA - OVER 900 DIFFERENT WITH PREMIUM - 406409British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $1750Stock #: 406409Your Price $750.00 Originally $1,500.00
- BRITISH CARRIBEAN - HIGH QUALITY COLLECTION WITH PREMIUM THROUGHOUT - 406381British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $750.00 – $850Stock #: 406381Your Price $375.00 Originally $750.00
- THOUSANDS OF DIFFERENT PRE-1940 ISSUES FROM THE BRITISH EMPIRE - 405365British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $8,500.00 – $10,000Stock #: 405365Your Price $3,825.00 Originally $8,500.00
- TWO VOLUME BRITISH COMMONWEALTH COLLECTION - 405328British Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $1,100.00 – $1200Stock #: 405328Your Price $495.00 Originally $1,100.00
- BRITISH EMPIRE - HIGH QUALITY SELECTION WITH BEAUTIFUL PREMIUM MATERIAL throughout, stored and organized nicely in Scott numbered glassines and on stock cards with light duplication of many items. The selection features many excellent better sets and singBritish Empire Collections (BREMPX)(Catalog Value): $9,950.00Stock #: 401251Your Price $805.00 Originally $2,300.00
- BRITISH EMPIRE - MINT SHEETS An interesting lot of hundreds of mint complete sheets from Ghana, Biafra, Nigeria, Swaziland and others neatly organized in a mint sheet file. The selection is essentially made up of complete sets presented in complete sheetsBritish Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $750.00 - $900.00Stock #: 400580Your Price $175.00 Originally $500.00
- BRITISH EMPIRE - HIGH QUALITY SELECTION Very attractive selection of thousands of stamps mostly covering British colonial subjects and Commonwealth issues in mint complete sets, VERY FINE, og, NHBritish Empire Collections (BREMPX)Estimated Net Value: $2,500.00 - $3,000.00Stock #: 400730Your Price $700.00 Originally $2,000.00
Collecting British Commonwealth Stamps
In 1840, the United Kingdom was the first country in the world to introduce nationwide postal service. As such, it should be no surprise that the country has a rich philatelic history filled with many notable, rare and collectible stamps. The UK is also remarkable for establishing functioning postal systems in its colonial territories — many of which laid the basis for a national system following independence from the Empire.
Collectible UK Stamps
One of the most collectible UK stamps is the Penny Black, notable for being the first in the world to use an adhesive backing. First printed in 1840, the Penny Black had a value of one cent and featured an iconic profile of Queen Victoria against a black backing. One interesting feature of the stamp with implications for collectors is that each pane was cut by hand, resulting in great variance in consistency.
Penny Blacks with uniform margins are highly prized by today's collectors. However, because of its historically wide circulation, many Penny Blacks do still exist today, making them an excellent first purchase for anyone interested in beginning a collection of rare British stamps.
Other notable British stamps from this period include the Penny Red (the successor to the Penny Black), the two pence blue, the Prince Consort Essay and more. Anyone interested in adding to their collection should speak with the team at Apfelbaum, Inc. directly for information about upcoming sales.
British Colonial Stamps
Collecting rare British Commonwealth stamps is another popular hobby that combines history with philately in fascinating ways. At its peak, the British Empire spanned over 33 million square kilometers and included territories in North and South America, Africa and the Middle East. Stamps from former colonies are known as “dead country stamps” and are highly prized by collectors. In fact, as of 2014, the most valuable stamp ever sold was the British Guyana 1 cent magenta — the only existing copy was sold at auction for an estimated $9.4 million.
Apfelbaum, Inc. frequently has rare British Commonwealth stamps for sale in our Stamp Store from all corners of the globe. Check out our next Public Auction or browse our Stamp Store to see what’s available.
Learn more about the British Commonwealth and its postal history.