- GERMANY - OFFICIAL USE STOCK CARD SELECTION, HIGHLY COMPLETE AND HIGH QUALITY - 405590Germany Collections (GERCOX)Scott Catalog About: $1,400Stock #: 405590Your Price $140.00 Originally $350.00
- GERMANY - POST-WAR BUNDESPOST & BERLIN COLLECTION - 401799Germany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $500.00 – $600Stock #: 401799Your Price $175.00 Originally $500.00
- GERMANY - Group of Air Letters from the 1950s, arranged on stock pages. Noted are (Michel) unused #LF2II, used #LF2II, LF4, LF4F, LF6a-6b, and LF7a. Also included are examples for Berlin with (Michel) unused #LF5, used #LF2bIII, LF3, & LF4 (2). Gen. VERYGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $250.00 – $350.00Stock #: 402132Your Price $96.25 Originally $275.00
- GERMANY - VERY DIVERSE SELECTION OF OVER 1500 STAMPS. All VERY FINE. Very high catalogue valueGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $650.00 – $750.00Stock #: 401704Your Price $227.50 Originally $650.00
- GERMANY - OVER 1500 MOSTLY DIFFERENT STAMPS. Very high quality and very diverse. Very high catalogue value. VERY FINEGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $650.00 – $750.00Stock #: 401702Your Price $227.50 Originally $650.00
- GERMANY-COVERS - Organized accumulation of more than 3100 covers, running from the late 1950s to the mid 1990s, all in cover binders or on pages, in two cartons. Highest volume of coverage goes to First Day Covers, which are mostly commemoratives and reguGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $1,000.00 – $1,250.00Stock #: 401947Your Price $360.00 Originally $1,200.00
- GERMANY - An extensive stock selection of thousands primarily covering the period from the mid 1930s and mid 60s organized in a Scott numbered stockbook. Overall the catalog value of the selection would add up close to $10,000, and individually some of thGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $2,000.00Stock #: 400589Your Price $360.00 Originally $1,200.00
- GERMANY - An extensive stock accumulation of over 4,000 used issues primarily covering the Bund period housed in a stockbook. The selection includes relatively uniform duplication ranging from 5-6 duplicates to just over a dozen in highest cases, but neGermany Collections (GERCOX)Scott Catalog About: $3,000.00Stock #: 400574Your Price $127.50 Originally $425.00
- GERMANY - Very well organized mint and used selection of close to 400 different issues with moderate to high duplication covering the German postal stamps from issues of the times of North German Confederation to breakout of WWII. This is a massive selectGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $2,000.00Stock #: 400570Your Price $435.00 Originally $1,450.00
- GERMANY - Between 1921 and 1924, Germany was required to pay to Great Britain and France reparations as a result of defeat in World War I. As a result, the value of the Deutsche Mark depreciated tremendously. Originally meant as a device to decrease the rGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $750.00 – $850.00Stock #: 400127Your Price $187.50 Originally $625.00
- GERMANY - HIGH QUALITY TWO VOLUME COLLECTION, stored in a nice pair of Minkus Specialty Albums. The collection begins with an impressive array of better quality 19th century German State issues followed by a wonderful German Empire section, good Reich matGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $3,000.00 – $4,000.00Stock #: 398961Your Price $900.00 Originally $3,000.00
- GERMANY - HIGH QUALITY SELECTION COVERING EMPIRE TO Bundespost, beginning with high quality first issues of the German Empire, to good Reich and coverage to about 1980 with light duplication. Each item in the selection is stored within individually ScottGermany Collections (GERCOX)Scott Catalog About: $7,850.00Stock #: 398340Your Price $510.00 Originally $1,700.00
- GERMANY - EXCEPTIONAL MID & EARLY 20TH CENTURY SPECIALIZED COLLECTION with great Inflation Period. Very high catalog valueGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $500.00 – $600.00Stock #: 397109Your Price $150.00 Originally $500.00
- GERMANY - Accumulation of hundreds of ETB's (Ersttagsblatt) for Germany and Berlin, most of which are loose. Contains coverage of regulars and commemoratives from the mid 1970's to 2002. Gen. VERY FINEGermany Collections (GERCOX)Estimated Net Value: $350.00 – $400.00Stock #: 390876Your Price $51.00 Originally $170.00
Collectible Foreign Stamps
One of the great things about collecting stamps is that it gives you a little taste of what life is like around the world without leaving your home. Aside from being beautiful in their own right, stamps are a wonderful window into the customs and histories of various countries — even some that no longer exist!
At Apfelbaum, Inc., we’ve been serving the philatelic community since 1910. If you’re looking to add to your worldwide stamp collection, there’s no better place to start than at one of our public auctions.
A Brief Postal History
The first national postage stamp — the Penny Black — was produced in the United Kingdom in 1840. Prior to that, each mail system had its own method for collecting payment. The stamp was a simple, straightforward way of handling payments that meant less work for mail carriers.
As a result, stamp use quickly spread throughout both the British Empire and the world at large. While the first stamps generally depicted political figures, designs soon became more ornate and pictorial, eventually evolving into a way to symbolize historic events, national priorities and cultural touchstones.
Collectible Foreign Stamps
Stamp collecting first emerged as a popular hobby soon after the first national postal systems were founded. Countries found they could generate revenue by issuing limited-run stamps solely for the collectible market. While many collectors specialize in a specific country, there’s no denying that an exhaustive worldwide stamp collection has a certain exotic cachet that speaks of far-off lands and distant customs.
Dead Country Stamps
One fascinating offshoot of historical philately is the practice of collecting “dead country” stamps. Dead country stamps are postage stamps from countries or territories that no longer exist. Stamps from former Soviet Republics, areas under colonial rule, and since-annexed territories are all highly prized by certain collectors.
Building Your Foreign Stamp Collection
Apfelbaum, Inc. frequently holds auctions of collectible foreign stamps and you can always find them for sale in our Stamp Store and Buy It Now sales as well. If there’s something in particular that you’re looking to add to your collection, contact our office by phone or email for assistance. We also offer appraisal services at your location to better serve you.