- (MQ2var), 1944 Feldpost bisect on cover, very rare, (signed Bloch) - 405197Germany (GE)Stock #: 405197Your Price $800.00 Originally $2,000.00
- GERMAN STATES - VERY NICE COLLECTION OF HUNDREDS - 405180Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $900.00 – $1,000.00Stock #: 405180Your Price $360.00 Originally $900.00
- (1872 5g Small Shield Forerunner (Michel #V6),) VERY FINE (MI €400)Germany (GE)(Catalog Value): $500.00Stock #: 397836Your Price $63.00 Originally $210.00
- (Michel #MH 15A), VERY FINE, og, NH (MI €850) - 407139Germany (GE)Estimated Catalog Value: $970Stock #: 407139Your Price $270.00 Originally $600.00
- (898), imperf (Michel #446U), EXTREMELY FINE, og, NH (MI €600)Germany (GE)(Catalog Value): $740.00Stock #: 399971Your Price $120.00 Originally $400.00
- (1756 var, Michel #1624U), imperf single, EXTREMELY FINE, og, NH (MI 550 Euros)Germany (GE)(Catalog Value): $690.00Stock #: 391521Your Price $39.00 Originally $130.00
- (1984), ten recalled sheets of ten, EXTREMELY FINE, og, NHGermany (GE)Scott Catalog Value: $350.00Stock #: 401998Your Price $60.00 Originally $200.00
- GERMANY - VIRTUALLY COMPLETE MINT COLLECTION 1948-1970 - 408090Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $2,000.00 – 2500.00Stock #: 408090Your Price $1,000.00 Originally $2,000.00
- GERMANY - WONDERFUL HIGHLY COMPLETE COLLECTION - 408129Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $2,500.00 – $3000.00Stock #: 408129Your Price $1,850.00 Originally $2,500.00
- GERMANY - BERLIN - VERY COMPELLING COLLECTION - 406692Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $2,500.00 – $3,000.00Stock #: 406692Your Price $1,125.00 Originally $2,500.00
- GERMANY - WWII AND EARLY BUND POSTAL STATIONERY - 406690Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $750.00 – $850.00Stock #: 406690Your Price $337.50 Originally $750.00
- GERMANY - 1945-1948 NICE SPECIALIZED COLLECTION - 406663Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,250.00 – $1500.00Stock #: 406663Your Price $562.50 Originally $1,250.00
- GERMANY - WONDERFUL & VALUABLE STOCKBOOK OF THOUSANDS - 406602Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $10,000.00 – $12,500.00Stock #: 406602Your Price $4,500.00 Originally $10,000.00
- GERMANY - VERY PLEASING COLLECTION TO 1940 - 406186Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $2000.00Stock #: 406186Your Price $600.00 Originally $1,500.00
- GERMANY - EXCELLENT COLLECTION OF MANY HUNDREDS - 406531Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,250.00 – $1500.00Stock #: 406531Your Price $500.00 Originally $1,250.00
- GERMANY - WONDERFUL PREMIUM STOCKBOOK SELECTION OF THOUSANDS - 406553Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $2,500.00 – $3000.00Stock #: 406553Your Price $1,000.00 Originally $2,500.00
- GERMANY - COLLECTION OF OVER 2,300 DIFFERENT ISSUES WITH PREMIUM - 406811Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,250.00 – $1500Stock #: 406811Your Price $500.00 Originally $1,250.00
- GERMANY & AREA - HIGH QUALITY SELECTION OF THOUSANDS - 406066Germany (GE)Scott Catalog About: $4,750.00Stock #: 406066Your Price $500.00 Originally $1,250.00
- GERMANY - HIGH QUALITY SELECTION IN THREE STOCKBOOKS AND A COLLECTION - 405371Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,250.00 – $1,500Stock #: 405371Your Price $437.50 Originally $1,250.00
- GERMAN AREA - LOVELY MOSTLY NON DUPLICATED - 403859Germany (GE)Estimated Catalog Value: $3,000.00 – $4,000.00Stock #: 403859Your Price $1,050.00 Originally $3,000.00
- BERLIN & THE G.D.R. - HIGH QUALITY COLLECTION - 405301Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,000.00 – $1100Stock #: 405301Your Price $350.00 Originally $1,000.00
- GERMANY - HIGH QUALITY MAINLY PREMIUM SELECTION - 404725Germany (GE)Scott Catalog About: $7,100.00Stock #: 404725Your Price $525.00 Originally $1,500.00
- GERMAN COLONIES, OCCUPATIONS & LOCALS - HIGH QUALITY COLLECTION - 402929Germany (GE)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $2000Stock #: 402929Your Price $525.00 Originally $1,500.00
- GERMANY & AREA - Group of 15 cacheted, mostly addressed First Day Covers from 1952 to 1956, on pages. Most notable are Germany #688, 695, B332-33, Berlin #9N80, 9N122, among others. Gen. VERY FINE (MI €988)Germany (GE)Scott Catalog About: $1,170.00Stock #: 402108Your Price $113.75 Originally $325.00
- GERMAN - USED BLOCK COLLECTION with better including #80-95, 118-132, 137-155, 161-184 (missing 181), 185-192, 238A-240A, 241-278 (missing 242A), 280-299, 301-309, 310-316, 319-321, C8-C14, C15-C19, O40, O41, O42, and more. F-VFGermany (GE)Scott Catalog Value: $27,000.00Stock #: 396984Your Price $1,050.00 Originally $3,500.00
- (B68), glassine adhering to gum, VERY FINE - 405732Germany (GE)Scott Catalog Value: $875.00Stock #: 405732Your Price $170.00 Originally $425.00
- (B68), on cover, VERY FINE (MI €1100, value for block used with Special Event cancel)Germany (GE)(Catalog Value): $1,310.00Stock #: 401978Your Price $172.50 Originally $575.00
Collectible Foreign Stamps
One of the great things about collecting stamps is that it gives you a little taste of what life is like around the world without leaving your home. Aside from being beautiful in their own right, stamps are a wonderful window into the customs and histories of various countries — even some that no longer exist!
At Apfelbaum, Inc., we’ve been serving the philatelic community since 1910. If you’re looking to add to your worldwide stamp collection, there’s no better place to start than at one of our public auctions.
A Brief Postal History
The first national postage stamp — the Penny Black — was produced in the United Kingdom in 1840. Prior to that, each mail system had its own method for collecting payment. The stamp was a simple, straightforward way of handling payments that meant less work for mail carriers.
As a result, stamp use quickly spread throughout both the British Empire and the world at large. While the first stamps generally depicted political figures, designs soon became more ornate and pictorial, eventually evolving into a way to symbolize historic events, national priorities and cultural touchstones.
Collectible Foreign Stamps
Stamp collecting first emerged as a popular hobby soon after the first national postal systems were founded. Countries found they could generate revenue by issuing limited-run stamps solely for the collectible market. While many collectors specialize in a specific country, there’s no denying that an exhaustive worldwide stamp collection has a certain exotic cachet that speaks of far-off lands and distant customs.
Dead Country Stamps
One fascinating offshoot of historical philately is the practice of collecting “dead country” stamps. Dead country stamps are postage stamps from countries or territories that no longer exist. Stamps from former Soviet Republics, areas under colonial rule, and since-annexed territories are all highly prized by certain collectors.
Building Your Foreign Stamp Collection
Apfelbaum, Inc. frequently holds auctions of collectible foreign stamps and you can always find them for sale in our Stamp Store and Buy It Now sales as well. If there’s something in particular that you’re looking to add to your collection, contact our office by phone or email for assistance. We also offer appraisal services at your location to better serve you.