- (358-361) Very nice selection of over 450 imperf stamps - 406853Liberia (LIBER)Estimated Net Value: $450.00 – 550Stock #: 406853Your Price $225.00 Originally $450.00
- LIBERIA - WONDERFUL NEARLY ALL MINT COLLECTION OF OVER 1600 DIFFERENT STAMPS - 408281Liberia (LIBER)Estimated Net Value: $2,500.00 – $3000.00Stock #: 408281Your Price $2,000.00 Originally $2,500.00
- (116a/123a), complete set of inverts, EXTREMELY FINE, og - 408008Liberia (LIBER)Scott Catalog Value: $445.00Stock #: 408008Your Price $337.50 Originally $675.00
- LIBERIA - Hefty group containing souvenir sheets and sheetlets, in glassines. This selection is comprised of items issued by overseas stamp agents during the Civil War that took place from 1999 to 2004. Lots of topical appeal. Gen. EXTREMELY FINE, og, NHLiberia (LIBER)Estimated Net Value: $500.00 – $600.00Stock #: 402170Your Price $210.00 Originally $600.00
- LIBERIA - MINT DEALER'S SELECTION Very attractive selection of hundreds of mint never hinged issues from the 1960s and 70s combining regular stamps and back-of-the-book issues all neatly stored in Scott numbered glassines. Overall catalog value would exceLiberia (LIBER)Scott Catalog About: $2,560.00Stock #: 400677Your Price $165.00 Originally $550.00
- LIBERIA - SPECIALIST SELECTION - Very nice mint selection of well over 500 never hinged imperf issues from the 1960s presented in form of individual sets, pairs, strips, and blocks. This is the type of selection that would surely appeal to modern specialtLiberia (LIBER)Estimated Net Value: $400.00 – $500.00Stock #: 400600Your Price $105.00 Originally $350.00
- LIBERIA - Very attractive specialist selection of over 800 issues in total covering imperfs, proofs, specimen and other specialty items from late 20th century that would certainly elevate any Liberian or African collection above just regular listings. TheLiberia (LIBER)Stock #: 400421Your Price $112.50 Originally $375.00
- LIBERIA - SPECIALIST DEALER'S SELECTION - An expansive selection of hundreds of imperf pairs, strips, and blocks commemorating 1956 Olympic Games essentially covering every conceivable combination to satisfy specialist collectors. The selection is duplicLiberia (LIBER)Stock #: 400422Your Price $217.50 Originally $725.00
- LIBERIA - SOUVENIR SHEETS DEALER'S STOCK - An extensive mint never hinged selection of close to 3,000 souvenir sheets from the 1960s all very neatly organized in Scott identified glassines. This a great selection with high ratio of imperf souvenir sheetsLiberia (LIBER)Estimated Net Value: $1,500.00 – $2,000.00Stock #: 400609Your Price $330.00 Originally $1,100.00
Collectible Foreign Stamps
One of the great things about collecting stamps is that it gives you a little taste of what life is like around the world without leaving your home. Aside from being beautiful in their own right, stamps are a wonderful window into the customs and histories of various countries — even some that no longer exist!
At Apfelbaum, Inc., we’ve been serving the philatelic community since 1910. If you’re looking to add to your worldwide stamp collection, there’s no better place to start than at one of our public auctions.
A Brief Postal History
The first national postage stamp — the Penny Black — was produced in the United Kingdom in 1840. Prior to that, each mail system had its own method for collecting payment. The stamp was a simple, straightforward way of handling payments that meant less work for mail carriers.
As a result, stamp use quickly spread throughout both the British Empire and the world at large. While the first stamps generally depicted political figures, designs soon became more ornate and pictorial, eventually evolving into a way to symbolize historic events, national priorities and cultural touchstones.
Collectible Foreign Stamps
Stamp collecting first emerged as a popular hobby soon after the first national postal systems were founded. Countries found they could generate revenue by issuing limited-run stamps solely for the collectible market. While many collectors specialize in a specific country, there’s no denying that an exhaustive worldwide stamp collection has a certain exotic cachet that speaks of far-off lands and distant customs.
Dead Country Stamps
One fascinating offshoot of historical philately is the practice of collecting “dead country” stamps. Dead country stamps are postage stamps from countries or territories that no longer exist. Stamps from former Soviet Republics, areas under colonial rule, and since-annexed territories are all highly prized by certain collectors.
Building Your Foreign Stamp Collection
Apfelbaum, Inc. frequently holds auctions of collectible foreign stamps and you can always find them for sale in our Stamp Store and Buy It Now sales as well. If there’s something in particular that you’re looking to add to your collection, contact our office by phone or email for assistance. We also offer appraisal services at your location to better serve you.