- (40 var) unissued on vertically laid paper, used, VERY FINE (signed Calves)Romania (ROMAN)Stock #: 394188$525.00
- (50a), VERY FINE, og (signed Diena, Estudio 20 Cert)Romania (ROMAN)Stock #: 394186$550.00
- ROMANIA - HIGH QUALITY COLLECTION OF THOUSANDS OF DIFFERENT - 403851Romania (ROMAN)Estimated Net Value: $900.00 – $1000.00Stock #: 403851$900.00
- ROMANIA - FANTASTIC COLLECTION LOADED WITH BETTER sets and singles, and stored in a nice Minkus Specialty album without duplication. The collection provides strong coverage from 1858 to 1970, including a number of lovely souvenir sheets and premium materiRomania (ROMAN)Estimated Net Value: $2,000.00 – $3,000.00Stock #: 401739$2,000.00
- ROMANIA - VERY NICE COLLECTION OF A COUPLE THOUSAND different stamps in five clean Specialty albums to 2000, hundreds of better sets from good earlies unused. We scanned the first volume only; the others are similarly filledRomania (ROMAN)Estimated Net Value: $900.00 – $1,000.00Stock #: 401071$900.00
- ROMANIA - IMPRESSIVE COLLECTION BEGINNING IN 1865, and stored in a nice Scott Specialty Album. The collection includes very good 19th century followed by highly complete 20th century to about 1980, including Semi-postals, without duplication. The collectiRomania (ROMAN)Estimated Net Value: $1,000.00 – $1,250.00Stock #: 400336$1,000.00
- ROMANIA - HIGH QUALITY, ALL MINT SELECTION OF THOUSANDS of different Romanian stamps, beginning with better quality premium 19th century material followed by strong coverage through the 20th century about 1980, with light and manageable duplication througRomania (ROMAN)Scott Catalog About: $5,500.00Stock #: 399900$1,200.00
- (B1-B2, B5-B6), in two unexploded booklets with each pane cancelled to order, VERY FINE-EXTREMELY FINE, og, NHRomania (ROMAN)Stock #: 394195$220.00
Collectible Foreign Stamps
One of the great things about collecting stamps is that it gives you a little taste of what life is like around the world without leaving your home. Aside from being beautiful in their own right, stamps are a wonderful window into the customs and histories of various countries — even some that no longer exist!
At Apfelbaum, Inc., we’ve been serving the philatelic community since 1910. If you’re looking to add to your worldwide stamp collection, there’s no better place to start than at one of our public auctions.
A Brief Postal History
The first national postage stamp — the Penny Black — was produced in the United Kingdom in 1840. Prior to that, each mail system had its own method for collecting payment. The stamp was a simple, straightforward way of handling payments that meant less work for mail carriers.
As a result, stamp use quickly spread throughout both the British Empire and the world at large. While the first stamps generally depicted political figures, designs soon became more ornate and pictorial, eventually evolving into a way to symbolize historic events, national priorities and cultural touchstones.
Collectible Foreign Stamps
Stamp collecting first emerged as a popular hobby soon after the first national postal systems were founded. Countries found they could generate revenue by issuing limited-run stamps solely for the collectible market. While many collectors specialize in a specific country, there’s no denying that an exhaustive worldwide stamp collection has a certain exotic cachet that speaks of far-off lands and distant customs.
Dead Country Stamps
One fascinating offshoot of historical philately is the practice of collecting “dead country” stamps. Dead country stamps are postage stamps from countries or territories that no longer exist. Stamps from former Soviet Republics, areas under colonial rule, and since-annexed territories are all highly prized by certain collectors.
Building Your Foreign Stamp Collection
Apfelbaum, Inc. frequently holds auctions of collectible foreign stamps and you can always find them for sale in our Stamp Store and Buy It Now sales as well. If there’s something in particular that you’re looking to add to your collection, contact our office by phone or email for assistance. We also offer appraisal services at your location to better serve you.