- RUSSIA - HIGH QUALITY, NEATLY ORGANIZED SELECTION - 406064Russia (RUSSI)Scott Catalog About: $6575.00Stock #: 406064$2,200.00
- RUSSIA AND MANY OTHER COUNTRIES ON STOCK PAGES - 405400Russia (RUSSI)Scott Catalog Value: $11,400.00Stock #: 405400$2,300.00
- RUSSIA - NICE COLLECTION IN A NICE SCOTT SPECIALTY ALBUM - 405316Russia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $1,750.00 – $2000Stock #: 405316$1,750.00
- RUSSIA - OVER 20,000 STAMPS IN ALL MINT ALL NH - 405271Russia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $3,000.00 – 3500Stock #: 405271$3,000.00
- CLASSIC RUSSIA - SPECIALIZED SELECTION OF HUNDRED OF STAMPS, many better. Huge catalogue valueRussia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $2,000.00 – $3,000.00Stock #: 401784$2,000.00
- RUSSIA - LOVELY COLLECTION TO 1960, stored neatly in a binder on specialized album pages without duplication. The collection begins in 1924 with used #265-268 and from there providing scattered coverage to 1940, at which point the bulk of the value in theRussia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $750.00 – $850.00Stock #: 401589$725.00
- RUSSIA - VERY NICE MOSTLY MINT SELECTION OF MANY HUNDREDS. VERY FINE, ogRussia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $650.00 – $750.00Stock #: 401022$625.00
- RUSSIA - MINT SHEETS - An extensive mint never hinged selection of thousands of stamps mostly in complete sheets of a hundred primarily from the 1950s and 60s housed in a mint sheet file. The selection should appeal to specialty collectors looking to elevRussia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $1,000.00 – $1,250.00Stock #: 400593$900.00
- RUSSIA - HIGH QUALITY COLLECTION BEGINNING WITH ISSUES OF THE 19th century Russian Empire, followed by good early Soviet issues to about 1950, and from there the collection is nearly complete to about 1980 without duplication. The collection includes premRussia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $650.00 – $700.00Stock #: 399551$650.00
- RUSSIA - Messy assembly of mint and used material, that mainly covers issues from 1960 to 1979, with some before and after, in a box. Noted are sheets, sheetlets and souvenir sheets from 1966 to 1979, in six sheet files and four plate files; numerous glasRussia (RUSSI)Estimated Net Value: $750.00 – $850.00Stock #: 398804$600.00
- RUSSIA - ALL MINT ALL NH COMPLETE SHEETS AND BLOCK featuring material from about 1950 to 1990, generally represented in the form of multiple complete sheets and some large blocks. All high quality, well cared for sheets with no curling. Includes\#2798a (8Russia (RUSSI)Scott Catalog About: $4,450.00Stock #: 396669$725.00
Collectible Foreign Stamps
One of the great things about collecting stamps is that it gives you a little taste of what life is like around the world without leaving your home. Aside from being beautiful in their own right, stamps are a wonderful window into the customs and histories of various countries — even some that no longer exist!
At Apfelbaum, Inc., we’ve been serving the philatelic community since 1910. If you’re looking to add to your worldwide stamp collection, there’s no better place to start than at one of our public auctions.
A Brief Postal History
The first national postage stamp — the Penny Black — was produced in the United Kingdom in 1840. Prior to that, each mail system had its own method for collecting payment. The stamp was a simple, straightforward way of handling payments that meant less work for mail carriers.
As a result, stamp use quickly spread throughout both the British Empire and the world at large. While the first stamps generally depicted political figures, designs soon became more ornate and pictorial, eventually evolving into a way to symbolize historic events, national priorities and cultural touchstones.
Collectible Foreign Stamps
Stamp collecting first emerged as a popular hobby soon after the first national postal systems were founded. Countries found they could generate revenue by issuing limited-run stamps solely for the collectible market. While many collectors specialize in a specific country, there’s no denying that an exhaustive worldwide stamp collection has a certain exotic cachet that speaks of far-off lands and distant customs.
Dead Country Stamps
One fascinating offshoot of historical philately is the practice of collecting “dead country” stamps. Dead country stamps are postage stamps from countries or territories that no longer exist. Stamps from former Soviet Republics, areas under colonial rule, and since-annexed territories are all highly prized by certain collectors.
Building Your Foreign Stamp Collection
Apfelbaum, Inc. frequently holds auctions of collectible foreign stamps and you can always find them for sale in our Stamp Store and Buy It Now sales as well. If there’s something in particular that you’re looking to add to your collection, contact our office by phone or email for assistance. We also offer appraisal services at your location to better serve you.